Indian Institute of Science,Bangalore was established in 1911, July with the initiatives of Jamshedji Tata,Sir K Shesadri Iyer and Shri KrishnarajaWodeyer 4,the Maharaja of Mysore.The institute became a Deemed University in 1956 .
Jamsetji Nusserwanji Tata (1839-1904) was one of the extraordinary men who even towards the end of the nineteenth century was convinced that the future progress of the country depended crucially on research in Science and Engineering. He envisaged this Institute as destined to promote original investigations in all branches of learning and to utilise them for the benefit of India.
After consulting several authorities in the country, he constituted a Provisional Committee to prepare the required scheme for the setting up of the Institute. On 31st December 1898, a draft prepared by the Committee was presented to Lord Curzon, the Viceroy-designate. Subsequently, upon the request of the Secretary of State for India, the Royal Society of London asked for the help of Sir William Ramsay, Nobel Laureate. Ramsay made a quick tour of the country and reported Bangalore to be the suitable place for such an Institution.
On the Initiative of the Dewan, Sir K Sheshadri Iyer, the Government of Shri Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV, the Maharaja of Mysore came forward with an offer of 372 acres of land, free of cost and promised other necessary facilities. Thus the original scheme of Jamsetji Tata became a tripartite venture with the association of the Government of India and the Government of Maharaja of Mysore. (Subsequently, the Government of Karnataka had gifted lands during the Golden Jubilee and Platinum Jubilee of the Institute making the current land holding of the Institute up to 443 acres.)
The constitution of the Institute was approved by the Viceroy Lord Minto, and the necessary Vesting Order was signed on 27th May 1909. Early in 1911, the Maharaja of Mysore laid the foundation stone of the Institute and on 24th July the first batch of students were admitted in the Departments of General and Applied Chemistry and Electrotechnology.